Topic
History & Culture
Michigan has stories you won't find anywhere else — shipwrecks that became songs, a sound that started in Detroit, a war fought over Toledo. Pull up a chair for the history and culture of the Great Lakes State.
Porch Notes
History & Culture notes
- A donated farm became Blackman's working airport Wiley and Sara Reynolds gave 160 acres for a Jackson airport in 1927; Reynolds Field still uses New Deal-era buildings and serves more than 100 aircraft in Blackman Township.
- A Hindu mandir anchors Canton's global side The BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir on Canton Center Road is a Hindu place of worship, cultural learning, festivals, and community service.
- A Lenape-Moravian village stood here in 1782 David Zeisberger and Christian Lenape families established New Gnadenhutten on the Clinton River in 1782, where they found traces of an even older Native town.
- A three-day blizzard made Glenn the Pancake Town A 1937 blizzard stranded about 200 travelers in Glenn, where residents sheltered them and served pancakes until U.S. 31 reopened.
- A women's club saved Three Rivers' Carnegie library The 1904 library was judged unsafe in 1978, but a local club leased and restored it; today it is the Carnegie Center for the Arts.
- Abronia disappeared, but the road still bends around it Watson Township's Abronia grew around a post office and railroad stop, then vanished after mail, passenger service, and the tracks moved on.
- An 1815 survey left one Salem buyer 23.5 acres short Salem Township had to be surveyed again in 1844 after settlers discovered that some purchases were smaller than promised; one supposed 80-acre tract measured only 56.5.
- Augusta's first postmaster carried the mail in his hat Before Augusta Township had a post office building, David Hardy met the Monroe-Ypsilanti mail stage and handed neighbors their letters from his hat.
- Bay City's sugar factory is actually in Monitor Township Michigan Sugar's 1901 Bay City factory sits in Monitor Township and still processes local sugar beets after a century of company changes.
- Bedford Township is three villages without a village government Temperance, Lambertville, and Samaria each have their own name and center, but all three remain unincorporated parts of Bedford Township.
- Blossom Heath went from roadhouse to city living room A 1911 lakefront roadhouse became a Prohibition-era ballroom, then St. Clair Shores bought it in 1946 and turned the grounds into a civic center and park.
- Canton kept the Chinese name its neighbors gave up Michigan's 1830s fascination with China produced Canton, Nankin, and Peking townships; Canton is the one that still uses its original name.
- Clinton Township started a canal meant to cross Michigan An 1827 company planned to join the Clinton and Kalamazoo rivers, turning a village in today's Clinton Township into the east end of a route to Lake Michigan.
- Cricket has a home-field advantage in Canton Canton maintains cricket fields at Heritage Park and the Canton Sports Center, with drop-in play, leagues, tournaments, and a youth program.
- Dixboro is Superior Township's village green Superior Township's early Dixboro settlement keeps 1830s houses, a church and schoolhouse, a village green, a farmers market, and Fleming Creek in one small crossroads.
- Eight Mile is more than Detroit's northern edge Before it became a cultural dividing line, Eight Mile was Michigan's survey baseline - the line that helped lay out townships, counties, and the mile-road grid.
- Kent County's park system started with 30 acres in Nelson Township Gordon Park began as 30 acres acquired for a highway in 1924, became Kent County's first park property, and drew an estimated 50,000 visits in 1930.
- Lansing Township comes in five separate pieces Annexation left Lansing Township as five noncontiguous sections totaling just over five square miles, all threaded between Lansing and East Lansing.
- Lenawee County's airport sits in Madison Township The county airport uses an Adrian mailing address but lies in Madison Township, with a 5,000-foot paved runway and a grass crosswind strip.
- Lodi's one-room school moved seven miles and teaches again The 1867 Weber-Blaess schoolhouse left its Lodi Township farm site in 2002 and became a living-history classroom on the Saline school campus.
- Macomb Township built its park system after the boom began Residents approved a parks millage in 1997; within seven years Macomb Township had opened Waldenburg Park, Macomb Corners Park, and a large recreation center.
- Mancelona's Bass Festival has lasted seven decades The northern Michigan town marked its 70th annual Bass Festival in 2026, with a parade, carnival, car show, market, and a long weekend of community events.
- Monterey Township is named for a battle in Mexico Allegan County residents named Monterey Township for an 1846 U.S. victory at Monterrey during the Mexican-American War.
- Old Stronach burned, but its rail bridge stayed Stronach began with an 1841 sawmill, lost most of its first village to an 1885 fire, and still has an 1887 rail bridge.
- Saline is named for salt springs Natural salt springs drew people and wildlife long before Saline became a city, then gave the river and community their name.
- Sterling Heights put its sculpture collection on the map Permanent sculptures, murals, and a 26-foot steel-and-glass piece fill Sterling Heights' civic center, fire stations, library, and a busy roundabout.
- The farmhouse inside Sterling Heights' civic campus The 1866-67 Upton House survived while its 136-acre farm became Sterling Heights' city hall, library, community center, and a high school.
- The railroad passed Mooreville and made Milan the center Mooreville held York Township's first election and became its early center, but the 1878 railroad chose Milan and shifted the local map.
- Toyota crash-tests cars in York Township Toyota's York Township R&D campus opened in 2008 and holds what the company calls its only crash-test facility outside Japan.
- Two Dutch landmarks sit outside Holland's city line Nelis' Dutch Village and Veldheer Tulip Gardens carry Holland's Dutch story into Holland Charter Township, north of the city proper.
- Waldenburg's German roots still stand at 21 Mile German settlers organized Immanuel Lutheran in 1853, built a church in 1855 and a school in 1866, leaving an old community name on modern Macomb Township roads.
- Wayne builds the Bronco and Ranger Ford's Wayne complex dates to 1952, has been rebuilt for several generations of vehicles, and now produces the Bronco and Ranger.
- A 28-foot Christ and 2,000 plaster models: the Fredericks museum at SVSU The Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum at Saginaw Valley State University holds the lifetime archive of a major Detroit sculptor, free to walk through, plaster models and all.
- A cheese magnate's mansion, and the Michigan governor who grew up there The Governor Warner Mansion in downtown Farmington was the boyhood home of Fred Warner — orphan, cheese tycoon, three-term Michigan governor — and is now the city's history museum.
- A county fair older than the cars that drive to it The Croswell Agricultural Society has thrown a county fair on the same Sanilac County grounds for well over a century, and it still fills the place every summer.
- A dam over an eight-foot waterfall made the lake at Vicksburg's heart In 1831 John Vickers dammed an eight-foot falls on Portage Creek for a grist mill; the pond he raised became Sunset Lake, and the town that grew around it took his name.
- A farmer's organ habit that filled a whole high school A Hanover farmer's collection of antique pump organs grew so large it now fills the village's old high school — more than 100 reed organs, most of them still playable.
- A free Chesterfield garage full of pre-war cars and dance organs The Stahls Automotive Collection in Chesterfield shows dozens of rare early cars alongside automated dance organs and a Mighty Wurlitzer — and charges nothing to walk in.
- A lakeside ballroom once drew Chicago crowds to a Pavilion Township park On Long Lake's west shore, the Ramona Palace pulled dancers and big bands by rail from as far as Chicago through the 1930s and '40s; the site is now a Portage park.
- A little fieldstone bank that's now the town's museum Millington's 1890s bank, built of split fieldstone in a town of brick and frame, outlived the bank itself and now houses the Millington-Arbela Historical Society's museum.
- A lumber baron's widow built Escanaba an arts center The Bonifas Arts Center in Escanaba lives in a 1938 golden-Kasota-stone hall that Catherine Bonifas built in memory of her timber-baron husband; it became a regional arts hub in 1974.
- A Michigan governor's house still stands on a quiet Adrian street The 1840s Greek Revival home of Charles Croswell, Michigan's governor from 1877 to 1881, survives in Adrian and is kept as a museum by a local DAR chapter.
- A town the railroad renamed, beside a village the Germans built Denmark Township's first settlers were German Lutherans who founded Richville; a few miles off, a settlement first platted as Gates got renamed Reese in 1873 for a railroad superintendent.
- A whole 1900s village rebuilt near Sidney Heritage Village at Montcalm Community College near Sidney is a cluster of 28 old buildings — a log cabin, town hall, jail, print shop — moved in and restored to show turn-of-the-century county life.
- A whole pioneer village sits in the shadow of the Meridian Mall Meridian Historical Village in Okemos gathers seven 1800s buildings — schoolhouse, farmhouse, chapel, and a rare plank-road tollhouse — moved to one park behind the mall.
- A whole pioneer village, saved one building at a time Sanford's history museum is a campus of eight rescued 1800s buildings on the Tittabawassee River, born from a one-summer centennial exhibit that nobody wanted to take down.
- Akron made cheese boxes before it made much else Akron didn't become a village until a railroad arrived in 1882; the new town platted that year came with sawmills and a cheese-box factory, the kind of small industry that followed Thumb dairy farms.
- Alabaster: the gypsum mine that sent buckets out over Lake Huron Alabaster grew up around an open-pit gypsum mine opened in 1862, and for decades a mile-and-a-half cable tramway carried buckets of gypsum out over Saginaw Bay to waiting freighters.
- Alcona first appeared on the map as Negwegon The county was set off as Negwegon in 1840, renamed Alcona in 1843, and organized in 1869. The replacement name's exact origin is less settled than many summaries make it sound.
- Allen Park: where the Detroit Lions actually work The Detroit Lions' practice fields and headquarters have sat in Allen Park since 2002 — a city named for lumberman Lewis Allen, not the team that now calls it home.
- Alma's refinery was first in the country to sell 96-octane gas Leonard Refineries grew from a small Alma plant into a statewide gasoline business. CMU's Clarke Historical Library says it became the first U.S. company to offer 96-octane gasoline to the public in 1953.
- America's Polish seminary, on a Michigan military academy's old campus A campus founded in 1885 in Detroit to train Polish-American priests moved in 1909 into the buildings of a bankrupt military academy on Orchard Lake and grew into the Orchard Lake Schools.
- An eight-sided farmhouse a retired carpenter built for himself Near Mayville, William Randall built a rare eight-sided house in 1870, following a fad that claimed octagon homes were healthier — and it still stands, on the National Register.
- Annie Oakley slept here: Hillsdale's Keefer House The 1885 Keefer House on Hillsdale's main corner put up railroad-era travelers from Buffalo Bill Cody to Annie Oakley, sat empty for two decades, and reopened as a boutique hotel.
- Applewood: the apple-named estate of the man who steered Flint Applewood, the 1916 Flint home and gentleman's farm of GM leader Charles Stewart Mott, keeps an orchard of 29 heirloom apple varieties and opens its gardens to the public.
- Arenac: a county name a man invented from Latin and Ojibwe The name 'Arenac' isn't old or native to the place — Henry Schoolcraft built it from the Latin word for sand and an Ojibwe ending, to mean 'a sandy place for good footing.'
- Argentine: the Genesee village named for silver Argentine, in southwest Genesee County, took a silver-tinged name in 1842 after starting life as 'Booton'; its mill outlived the village, and Lobdell Lake is dammed-up North Ore Creek.
- Attica was Mill Station, then Elk Lake, before it settled on a name The post office at Attica changed its name twice before it stuck — opening as Mill Station in 1867, becoming Elk Lake in 1870, and finally taking the township's name, Attica, in 1871.
- Bancroft took its name from a mining company The Shiawassee County village was platted when the railroad arrived in 1877, then took the unexpected name of the Bancroft Mining Company.
- Barryton: a lumberman platted a town and put his own name on it Frank Barry laid out Barryton in 1894 on farmland at the fork of the Chippewa River; within two years the timber town had two hotels, two general stores, and a sawmill.
Related topics
Page feedback
See something wrong or unclear?
Send a note about this page. The page address will be included automatically.
Page feedback
Send a note
The page you're on will be included automatically.