The country doctor's mansion that became a whole village
Port Sanilac's Loop-Harrison mansion was built by a doctor who rode a 40-mile circuit on horseback; today his estate holds 17 historic buildings and a shipwreck room.
Dr. Joseph Loop came up to the Lake Huron shore in 1854. Port Sanilac was raw frontier then, and the nearest real medicine was a long ride away. He’d trained at the University of Michigan’s young medical school. Once he set up shop, he covered the country for forty miles around. It was a circuit he rode by horse and buggy in every season. He delivered babies and set bones for a county that had almost no other doctor. In the 1870s he built himself a tall, mansard-roofed Second Empire mansion on the bluff. It had twenty rooms, with his medical office tucked into the ground floor so patients could find him.
That house never left the family until it became something bigger. The Sanilac County Historical Society now keeps the Loop-Harrison mansion as the centerpiece of a ten-acre village. Seventeen historic buildings sit gathered onto the doctor’s old estate. You can walk through a general store stocked the way it would have looked around 1900. There’s a one-room schoolhouse that’s been teaching kids for more than a century and a half. There’s an 1883 pioneer log cabin, and a relocated country church. There’s even a barn theater, said to be one of the last of its kind still standing in Michigan.
The piece that catches most people, though, is the marine room. Lake Huron just outside has swallowed enough ships over the years to fill a museum. Divers and storms gave back the wheel, lantern, and timber from wrecks scattered along this coast. There’s a dairy museum too, and carriages, and Victorian gardens that local gardeners quietly envy. It’s a lot of county history for one bluff. And it all started because one man decided a frontier shore needed a doctor.
Sources
Last reviewed against the listed sources: June 26, 2026.