Lowell still mills flour where the Flat meets the Grand
King Milling began on Lowell's west bank in 1890. A fire, a 1945 rebuild, and later expansions separate today's working mill from the earlier buildings.
Lowell’s flour story starts before King Milling, but not quite where the old shorthand puts it. A mill began on the east bank of the Flat River in 1844. The Superior Mill opened across the river on the west bank in 1867. That west-bank mill is the one Francis King, his son Frank, and two partners bought in 1890 to start the company that still carries the King name.
The Doyle family’s connection began when Charles Doyle bought an interest in 1900. The company remains family-owned, with fourth- and fifth-generation family members involved today. But it is not one untouched 19th-century mill. Fire destroyed the Superior Mill in 1943, and King completed the concrete mill that replaced it in 1945.
The working site has grown again since then. King says its newest production line reached full operation in December 2023, bringing white-flour capacity to 21,000 hundredweight a day and total capacity, including whole-wheat flour, to 25,000 hundredweight. A hundredweight is 100 pounds, which helps put those factory numbers in ordinary terms. The company and the Lowell Area Historical Museum currently count six operating flour mills in Michigan.
The good Lowell story is not an unproved oldest-or-biggest trophy. It is the line you can follow through the place: river power, a new company in 1890, a devastating fire, a concrete rebuild, and a family business still milling flour on the west bank.
Where to see it
King Milling is a working industrial property on the west bank of the Flat River near downtown Lowell, not a public museum. View it from public streets and riverfront areas.
Sources
Last reviewed against the listed sources: July 15, 2026.