Michigan Porch

Hadley's old mill is now a township museum

Hadley's 1873-74 flour-and-feed mill, the third on its site, now anchors Hartwig Community Park as a local-history museum.

The Hadley Flour and Feed Mill was built around 1873 or 1874 by Peter Slimmer. It was the third mill on the site; Edward Fortune had built earlier mills there around 1845 and in the early 1860s.

Water from Mill Creek powered a turbine beneath the building, which drove the mill’s equipment through gears and line shafts. The mill produced animal feed, grist, flour, and cider at different points. Its last commercial grist operation ended in 1964.

Ralph and Marie Hartwig donated the mill to Hadley Township in 2002. The surrounding site was dedicated as Hartwig Community Park in 2003 and now includes a covered bridge and pavilion.

The old mill is now the Hadley Historical Museum and houses the Hadley Township Historical Society. It opens for scheduled events and special arrangements, so check the township’s current calendar before planning a visit.

Sources

Last reviewed against the listed sources: July 12, 2026.

Connected places

Where this note fits on the map

Open a place page for the property-tax snapshot, nearby communities, and other notes tied to that local page.

Page feedback

See something wrong or unclear?

Send a note about this page. The page address will be included automatically.

Send a note