Michigan Porch

Why a Grandville creek is named for plaster

There’s a creek that runs through Grandville and empties into the Grand River. Its name is a fossil of the area’s first industry: Plaster Creek. Not “Plaster” for any building. It’s named for the white, chalky rock the early settlers found sitting in beds right along the banks. That rock is gypsum. It’s the same mineral you grind up to make plaster of Paris. And it was so close to the surface here that fur traders and missionaries knew about it as far back as the 1820s.

In 1841 someone finally put it to work. Daniel Ball and Warren Granger built the first mill to grind the local gypsum. It stood at the spot where Plaster Creek crossed the Grandville Road. The mill turned raw rock into a powder. Farmers spread it on their fields as fertilizer, and builders mixed it into wall plaster. The operation grew fast. By 1850 the mills along the creek were turning out sixty tons a day. That was an enormous figure for a frontier settlement still mostly cut out of oak groves.

That gypsum is why this corner of Kent County mattered so early. Long before the city was famous for furniture, the soft white rock under Plaster Creek and Grand Rapids was being quarried, ground, and shipped. Eventually it was mined right out from underneath the surface. Those tunnels still run below the south side.

The mills are gone and the road has a different name now. But the creek kept the old one. Every time it shows up on a Grandville street sign or a watershed map, it’s quietly reporting what the ground here is made of. It tells you what people first came to dig out of it.

Sources

Last reviewed against the listed sources: June 26, 2026.

Connected places

Where this note fits on the map

Open a place page for the property-tax snapshot, nearby communities, and other notes tied to that local page.

Page feedback

See something wrong or unclear?

Send a note about this page. The page address will be included automatically.

Send a note