Woodland was Woodland Center before 1892
The present village site began with an 1847 settlement, added a blacksmith and store, and kept the name Woodland Center until incorporation in 1892.
The present village of Woodland developed later than the surrounding township. A 1912 history of Barry County places the first settlement near today’s village in 1847, when John McArthur located there. In 1849, a man identified as Snyder opened a blacksmith shop. Jacob Strauss followed with a store at Woodland Center in 1853.
Growth was not automatic. One 1861 attempt to open a store ended before it began: J. S. Goodyear brought goods from Hastings, decided Woodland’s prospects looked too poor, and hauled everything back without unloading. Lawrence Hilbert later established a trading business, and lots began to be divided and sold around 1865.
For decades the place was known as Woodland Center. That changed in 1892, when the Barry County Board of Supervisors incorporated it under Michigan’s general village law as the Village of Woodland.
The distinction clears up two easy mix-ups. The broader township had settlers before development began at today’s village location, and Woodland was already a growing crossroads before incorporation. The documented village story is not a sudden railroad boom. It is a slower sequence: settlement, blacksmith, store, divided lots, and finally a municipal charter.
Go deeper
Sources
Last reviewed against the listed sources: July 12, 2026.