Middleville: river power, flour, and featherbone
Middleville grew beside the Thornapple River after earlier Potawatomi and trading-post history, then built an industrial story around flour, dairy, rail, and featherbone.
Middleville’s story starts before its village plat. Potawatomi people knew this place as “Middle Village.” Louis Moreau and Robert Scales opened a trading post here in the spring of 1834. Calvin G. Hill arrived that fall as the first permanent white settler. He eventually owned 400 acres on both sides of the Thornapple River, became the first postmaster in 1843, and helped shape the settlement that incorporated as a village in 1867.
The river made early industry practical. Abner C. Bruen built a gristmill in 1849. Thomas D. French bought the works in 1875, rebuilt after an 1886 fire, and sold flour under the French’s Lily White name. The Cold Spring Creamery was erected in 1893 and opened on April 1, 1894. Railroad service had reached Middleville in 1870, giving local mills and factories a connection to larger markets.
Then came featherbone. The Warren Featherbone Company moved into Middleville’s former Keeler plant in April 1901. The product itself had been invented in Three Oaks: Edward K. Warren found that discarded turkey pointer feathers could replace expensive whalebone. Featherbone was used primarily as stay material in women’s corsets, with related uses in garment foundations. The Middleville plant made elastic featherbone material for clothing.
Put together, the town has more than one beginning. An Indigenous community and trading post came before the formal village. The river powered its first industrial chapter, the railroad widened its reach, and later manufacturers found new uses for old plant space. That fuller sequence is less tidy than a one-founder story, but it explains Middleville better.
Sources
Last reviewed against the listed sources: July 17, 2026.