A 1927 golf course on the shore of Lake Nepessing
Golfers have been walking the same ground west of Lapeer since 1927. That’s the year Lapeer Country Club opened. Calvin Coolidge was president, and golf was booming across small-town America. Nearly a century later it’s still here, family-owned. It’s more than 150 acres of mowed greens and old pines, all tipping down toward the water of Lake Nepessing.
The lake is part of the view. The club describes the 18-hole course as 150 acres of rolling ground, mature pines, and hardwoods within sight of Lake Nepessing. It has been open to the public since 1988, despite the “country club” name, and the clubhouse also hosts meals, weddings, and community events.
What’s quietly impressive is the continuity. The same property has welcomed golfers across parts of two centuries, while the business around the course has changed with the times. The Lake Nepessing view is still there, but the gate is open to anyone who books a round.
Sources
Last reviewed against the listed sources: July 11, 2026.