Laingsburg briefly went by 'Nebraska'
The community founded around Dr. Peter Laing's roadside stop was officially called Nebraska from 1854 until it changed back to Laingsburg in 1862.
For about eight years, the place now called Laingsburg officially used the name Nebraska.
Dr. Peter Laing came to Sciota Township in 1836 and built a log home. It became lodging for travelers, then a tavern and stage stop. The building also housed a store and post office as traffic increased along the Grand River Trail.
The village name changed to Nebraska on July 8, 1854. The township’s history does not explain why that name was chosen. On February 4, 1862, the community changed it back to Laingsburg.
The village was platted in 1860 when the Jackson, Lansing and Northern Railroad came through. It incorporated as a village in 1871 and as a city in 1951.
The short Nebraska episode is a reminder that local names were sometimes revised more than once while a community was still taking shape.
Sources
Last reviewed against the listed sources: July 12, 2026.